Sunday, December 22, 2019

I started reading again: 18 books in 2019

Somewhere in Sacramento

Looking at the title, this seems a pretty pitiful number, but certainly much better than previous years (close to zero). Despite four months of 90-100+ hour workweeks, this year I have had more free time than all the other years of medical school, and suddenly began to read for leisure again.

I remember what it was like to be a voracious reader as a child and a teenager, and was increasingly disillusioned with myself for numbing my brain with endless social media. I even throw podcasts into this since I definitely use them as a way to pass time without really gaining anything from them. So my month in Chicago kickstarted what will hopefully be a habit of reading more, writing more, and being more critical and deliberate with the content I consume, and how I choose to use my precious free time.

Bolded and highlighted titles are those that I strongly recommend. Italicized titles are those I am currently reading and expect to finish before the year is over.

  1. The Hazel Wood - Melissa Albert
  2. I'm Not Dying with You Tonight - Kimberley Jones, Gilly Segal
  3. The Priory of the Orange Tree - Samantha Shannon
  4. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid
  5. Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
  6. Becoming - Michelle Obama
  7. The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware
  8. An Enchantment of Ravens - Margaret Rogerson
  9. The River at Night - Erica Ferencik
  10. Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng
  11. Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo
  12. Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
  13. A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara
  14. This is Going to Hurt - Adam Kay
  15. Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness - Susannah Cahalan
  16. No Exit - Taylor Adams
  17. The Outsider - Stephen King
  18. Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng
I expect to keep up this pace of reading into the first quarter of 2020 since I'll be traveling for residency interviews and not socializing with my classmates while I'm on the road. I don't really have a set TBR, but here are some of the books I definitely intend to hit in 2020.
  1. The Secret Commonwealth - Phillip Pullman
  2. Dear Girls - Ali Wong
  3. House of Leaves - Mark Z. Daneilewski (RR)
  4. Crooked Kingdom - Leigh Bardugo
  5. Catch and Kill - Ronan Farrow
What does the future hold for me, and this blog? I really don't know that answer (other than I seriously hope everything works out and I match into orthopedic surgery), but hopefully I can use this space to log my books and talk about them in manageable batches. Looking at this list, it definitely seems my tastes are shifting away from fantasy and science fiction and towards contemporary mysteries and thrillers. Additionally, my goal is to read more medical humanities since my medical school library has an abundance of them (and everybody is too busy studying to read them for fun, except the graduating students).

6 comments:

  1. I've had a terrible reading year so I'm also trying to make more of an effort with what I'm consuming. This is Going to Hurt was fantastic, I really enjoyed it.

    Hope everything's going well! When do you start your applications/matching process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Is Going to Hurt was a revelation. I have been recommending it to many classmates. I also think next year I'll allow myself to abandon books earlier instead of trying to stick through with something mediocre.

      I'm in the midst of interviews for residency! Really hoping for good news in March.

      Delete
    2. "I also think next year I'll allow myself to abandon books earlier" same here! I was trying to do this thing where I would try and finish books I wasn't enjoying but it was turning me off reading completely.

      Good luck!!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with the residency matching process!

    I am a fan of just dropping books when I'm not enjoying them. I didn't used to do it, but it's such a slog trying to keep going with a book that's not working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      There are a few titles on this list I definitely should have jumped ship from. Not worth wasting the time!

      Delete
  3. We chose so many of the same books to read in 2019! :D Becoming & This Is Going to Hurt <3 <3 // Another medical book on my TBR is Diagnosis by Lisa Sanders. I watched her Netflix series and put her book on my TBR as soon as I finished it! // I have yet to read Evelyn Hugo, but I did read Daisy Jones in 2019, which I enjoyed, and I do plan on getting to Evelyn Hugo eventually. I heard some people say that there are lots of similarities between the two, but there was a mix of who preferred which! // A Little Life is on my 2020 TBR! // Excited for you to get to Crooked Kingdom! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete