Saturday, December 8, 2018

On my third winter in Boston, I finally bought a puffy



I'm giving away my vintage leather jacket, and I bought a down puffy from Uniqlo for triple its price. This was a good decision. Watch me justify it.

I bought and loved this vintage leather jacket when I was 17, in 2012. It saw me through the coldest, windiest day in Berkeley. It even saw me through a torrential downpour in Berkeley when I was walking home, and saw two raccoons slide into a storm drain -- it stopped me dead in my tracks, and I forgot to worry about the effect of rainwater on old leather (no effect). But in truth, I almost never wore it because it was almost never cold enough to tolerate it in Berkeley.


I wore it a lot more in Boston, where there are a lot more cold (30-50F) and non-rainy days where a heavy leather jacket is appropriate. But the more I wore it, the more its flaws bothered me. Windproof, but way too heavy. A distinctive look, but it added so much bulk to my frame. It's an attention-grabbing piece in person, and I'm not one who wants all the same wow cool jacket every time I wear it. It also smells bad when rained on.

I had a gap in my wardrobe to the effect of "too warm for the parka, but too wet for the peacoat or the leather jacket." For a long time now, I've wanted a down puffy, a staple of Boston because of its practicality. Added bonus of being important when camping. Something lightweight, reliably warm, and easy to layer under or over.

Recently, my disdain for the leather jacket and disenchantment of the wild, wild west Americana look it brought reached its peak, and it got cold enough to wish I had a down jacket. So I did it. I decided to lose the $20 and not bother reselling the leather jacket, and shell out $70 for a hooded down jacket at Uniqlo.

Which seems at odds with the minimalism-sustainability-slow fashion ethos I admire: I'm ditching a secondhand, high quality piece for a more expensive fast fashion one. But it's a decision two winters and cold springs in the making, and one that makes sense given my shift in tastes and priorities. I can take the puffy camping. It weighs almost nothing. It's subdued and functional, and just as warm. It has a hood and a high collar.

That's the way it is. As goes my favorite William Morris quote: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." I have replaced something that has never been useful and was formerly beautiful, with something that is extremely useful and kind of beautiful.

Thank u, next

And to further my point, this is a picture of me from college with that leather jacket. Possibly Halloween 2012?

4 comments:

  1. I think I would have given in a lot earlier and got a puffy in a Boston winter! I don't need one here in Sydney but they do seem very practical, especially for travelling and outdoorsy activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahhahh I recently bought my first Uniqlo ultra light down jacket and Uniqlo ultra light down vest too!!! I really wanted to pull out my ankle-length light down jacket (not Uniqlo), but it's my heaviest winter coat, so I didn't want to pull it out yet, otherwise I wouldn't be able to acclimate to the weather when it actually got around to winter. So I was missing that in-between coat as well. I finally bit the bullet when I took a day trip to NYC and was shaking from the cold the whole day; I bought the down jacket as soon as I got back home. Then when I visited NYC again for Thanksgiving, I wore my new down jacket, but it still wasn't warm enough -- it was the second coldest Thanksgiving in NYC since 1901! As soon as I got back home, I bought the down vest to layer. My Thanksgiving host had told me how she always layers a down vest under her down jacket when walking the dog out at night, and that sounded genius to me. So now I have both the down jacket and vest, and I got both on sale! I got the jacket without the hood because I thought it'd be easier to layer that way. I also love how both are so thin yet warm, which is ideal for layering -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the leather jacket has served you well for a very long time, even if it might not be as useful to you anymore now. It is really interesting to me how things like changes in workplace or office (and the accompanying dress codes and office culture and maybe how functional certain clothes are based on the local office climate control) and changes in location (even when the change in average temperatures or weather patterns is, on paper, not supposed to be that significant or noteworthy) can really affect what clothes are functional or useful. When I first moved to NYC I thought I'd be able to dress in the same winter clothing that I was wearing in undergrad in Boston (layering sweaters under wool peacoats because I didn't need to go out walking much back then, and wearing thick socks with rubber rain boots for winter), but that proved not to be the case.

    Uniqlo does do a great job with functional, packable jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you participate in #10yearschallange ? :) You are looking pretty in 2012. :)

    https://en.rehitu.com

    ReplyDelete