Monday, July 8, 2019

Makeup inventory


Every year or so, I am overcome with the need to gather up all my makeup, arrange it just so, take a picture, and write a blog post about it. Maybe a bit more frequently, I write out all that I own from memory, to see if I can do it. If I can't, it's a reminder that I have too much. I think maybe the stars aligned and I've been thinking more about makeup and beauty and expectations for female beauty and groomed-ness and put-togetherness that I write this post today.

First, the inventory itself, and then the rambling:
  • Maybelline Fit Me matte and poreless liquid foundation - 220 Natural Beige (2018)
  • Sephora powder foundation - Golden Fawn (2016)
  • Wet 'n' Wild blush x2 - Pearlescent Pink and Mellow Wine (2010)
  • Estee Lauder kohl pencil - black (2010)
  • Wet 'n' Wild eyeliner pencil - brown (2010)
  • Wet 'n' Wild eyeshadow palette - Comfort Zone (2014)
  • Urban Decay eyeshadow palette - Naked2 (2013)
  • Burt's Bees matte lip crayon - Redwood Forest (2019)
  • Revlon lip butter - Pink Truffle (2016)
  • Bite amuse bouche lipstick - Chai (2015?)
  • MUFE lipstick - N9 (2014?)
  • Maybelline mascara - Snapscara (2019)

Note: I picked my favorite pans from the two eyeshadow palettes and put them in this little metal business card holder. It works for me. The matte black from the Naked2 palette fills in my brows.

This is probably the smallest my makeup collection has been since high school, and it's through a concerted effort of not buying new things, being honest with myself and tossing products that are old/not suited to me/etc. I think a longer post about my relationship with makeup and beauty and self-image are due at another time, and this is something of an easy appetizer to write. Over the years, I have progressively owned less makeup, consumed less beauty content, and worn makeup more often (but less of it). Though I always wore what I consider "minimal" makeup - as in, foundation only for special occasions and residency application photoshoot - these days, it's black eyeshadow brushed through brows with a very light hand, and a single coat of mascara. A little lipstick blotted on if there's time. Eyeshadow and blush for social outings. Priorities are to have a low maintenance routine that wears well - and wears off well - over the day, a slow, pretty fade instead of a ruined mess. Can't stand that, and I find foundation and liquid eyeliner suffer from that.

There is room to whittle down. High coverage foundation, be it liquid or powder, has almost no role in my life. Personally, any kind of base makeup makes me slip into uncanny valley, or at least distance my done up face from the one I am familiar with. There's redundancy in brow products. I've never gotten the hang of eyeliner pencil so that will probably go at some point. And most of the lipsticks look the same. I have no desire to try or buy new makeup, and will just replace what I own organically, as they run out or no longer serve a purpose.

With that, a vision of the future:
  • sheer liquid foundation
  • sheer face powder
  • blush, 2 of them
  • brow product, just 1
  • mascara - I'm happy with the one I use now, and I'll be better about replacing as it expires
  • small eyeshadow palette, likely constructed from single pans - the amount I have now is fine
  • lipstick - 1 sheer red, 1 my lips but better (MLBB), 1 more for variety
High quality, reliable products. With that list above, and the inventory I have now, I have all my bases covered, and happy with what I won't own. Hopefully minimal and timeless, as empty as those descriptors are. But that's what I want, and I think that's what I have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment