Sunday, February 28, 2016

Microcosms in the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden

I have many pictures of the botanical garden already, but it really is one of my favorite places on campus. A few of us in some mechanical engineering labs took a "field trip" to the gardens as a way to get some sunshine and socializing. This was my first time really testing out my iPhone 6 camera, and I'm pretty happy with how the pictures turned out.

Microcosms -- I put particular focus on the greenhouses.


First stop was the carnivorous plants, ferns, and bromeliads.



Probably the only picture taken outdoors.


Tropical house.





Arid house.



These two require a bit of explanation. I was looking for plants in the Echeveria family because the mechanical engineering building on campus is Etcheverry Hall. We found a few of them, but these were some more interesting ones.


I always enjoy a trip to the garden in spite of the >1 mile walk uphill/through the woods to get to it from campus. We didn't have time to look through the native California garden or the redwood grove, but it was a great social event.

And forecasting: I'm heading to Orlando for my first academic conference (Orthopaedic Research Society annual meeting) this week and am absolutely excited and grateful. I'm planning on doing zero schoolwork while I'm away, go no-contact with the Berkeley Free Clinic, and focus only on working on my code for lab. Because I'm starting to more seriously consider orthopedic surgery as a specialty (now that I've actually gotten into medical school), immersing myself in all facets of research in that field, talking with other students, researchers, surgeons, and vendors will be the main focus of this trip. I'm rattling with excitement.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I've actually ever been in a greenhouse, come to think of it. I've always been intrigued by carnivorous plants.

    Conference sounds exciting! My last elective placement was in orthopaedics and I've decided to go in that direction too (after bouncing around paediatrics and O&G for the last 5 years). I need to start begging for research in that area now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plants housed there are truly bizarre. We're very lucky to have such a large and diverse (>9000 species!) living museum on campus, even if it's hilly and a pain to walk to.

      I've always been interested in ortho, and working in that lab for all of college has just gotten my hopes up even more, however silly it is to get stuck on a specialty before matriculating into med school. I've never done any clinical research before, though. Also, Australian medical education is a real mystery to me (rather, any non-US medical education system is a real mystery to me).

      Delete
  2. Aww this makes me miss living in Berkeley!
    Marina / www.MARINASAYS.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many opinions of Berkeley...but the scenery always gets me, whether its the gardens or the redwoods on campus or the fire trails or the Big C or etc

      Delete
  3. Nice photos. It really is beautiful there .

    XoXo Noma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful photos! :) x

    http://www.itsjessiejane.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The plants are beautiful and well-maintained, and I was just there in the right place at the right time.

      Delete
  5. You make me want to visit any botanical garden now.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Kindly visit us here
    http://wildworldvibes.blogspot.com/2016/03/typical-mediterranean-breeze.html

    ReplyDelete