Tuesday, March 17, 2020

A one-bag minimalist sprint for interview season



First of all, the itinerary:
  • 1/9 AM - travel to NYC from by bus
  • 1/9 PM - interview social for Hospital #1
  • 1/10 PM - interview at Hospital #1
  • 1/10 PM - travel to Boston by bus, sleep at home
  • 1/11 AM - interview at Hospital #2
  • 1/11 PM - interview social for Hospital #2, sleep at home
  • 1/12 AM - travel to California by plane
  • 1/12 PM - interview social for Hospital #3
  • 1/13 AM - interview at Hospital #3
  • 1/13 PM - travel to parents' house by car, sleep at home
  • 1/14-15 - sleep at home
  • 1/16 PM - travel to LA by plane
  • 1/17 - Hospital #4 interview and interview social
  • 1/18 AM - travel to NYC by plane
  • 1/18 PM - interview social at Hospital #5
  • 1/19 PM - interview at Hospital #5
  • 1/20 AM - travel to ABQ by plane
  • 1/21 PM - interview social for Hospital #6
  • 1/22 AM - interview at Hospital #6
  • 1/23 - sleep all day in ABQ
  • 1/24 AM - travel to PHX by plane
  • 1/24 PM - interview social for Hospital #7
  • 1/25 AM - interview at Hospital #7
  • 1/25 PM - red eye flight back to Boston

And now, what I packed:
  • Suit
  • Blouse
  • Grey dress
  • Black wool shirt
  • Grey Uniqlo heat-tech shirt
  • Grey t-shirt
  • Black gym shorts
  • Black tights
  • Nude tights
  • Heels
  • Black ankle boots
  • Navy blue Uniqlo ultra-light puffy jacket
  • Watch
  • Black Fossil handbag
...and necessaries like underwear, computer, Kindle, chargers, toiletries, chocolate. Surprisingly everything fit comfortably and the bag was always accepted for United Basic Economy, whose luggage restrictions are one single item that can fit under the seat in front. I am very proud of being able to make the trip with such lean, lightweight luggage. In fact, I think such a trip would have been bearable only with such little burden.

Why did I do this to begin with? Mostly to save money and save the hassle of keeping track of all my stuff, at the cost of having a perpetually wrinkled suit. Some of it was a challenge in seeing if I could do it, kind of prideful, I admit. The bottom line: I did it, and it was convenient. And now it's done. This two weeks of travel coincided with a nasty upper (eventually lower) respiratory infection for the same duration, complicated by sore throat and very diminished voice in the beginning.

And now it's done, and I get to rest and agonize over my future.

I wrote this post in February and it stewed in my drafts for all this time. I matched into orthopedic surgery! I'm going to be an orthopedic surgeon! I'll find out where on Friday, but for now, I'm just happy happy happy that I've fulfilled a dream of almost eight years. More coming soon!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations again on matching into orthopedic surgery! It must be so exciting, and fingers crossed that it's in one of your most preferred locations!

    It's definitely very impressive to be able to get business formal wear into such a small amount of luggage... For a recent three-day business trip where we only needed business formal for one day, I filled most of my standard domestic carry-on roller suitcase that went into the overhead compartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I don't recommend doing this at all since my suit was wrinkled most of the time, and I had to do a lot of handwashing. However, it did save money and I was glad to have at least had the experience!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!!! That's amazing, I'm so excited for you. Let us know where you'll be going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm staying in Boston (5 more years!)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jane, hope this finds its way to your inbox. I fell off the blog reading and writing wagon, and couldn't find yours. I've loved reading your writing over the years, and was wondering if you're still posting (luluwanluli@gmail.com)

      Delete